Big Red Tat
On Wednesday, June 30th, I got my new tattoo. Well, it's a do-over of the much smaller one I had. She's a big ol' Phoenix (reminiscent of Jean Grey) and I love her.
Of course, not all who surround me feel the same way. I've shocked and awed some friends and family. I may be somewhat conservative in my politics and views. but it's just a tattoo. And one that has much meaning and significance to me!
My original idea of her was different. I wanted the yin-yang of my older tattoo to be worked into the bigger piece. I'd thought that Ian (my tattoo artist) would go with the oriental Phoenix. The peacock thing with many colors and detailed feathers. When I went to the shop (New Breed, Dayton, OH) and saw what he'd cooked up, I was inspired.
I've always had a fascination with the Phoenix myths, when a friend opened a comic book shop, I noticed the X-Men's Phoenix. I became addicted to the X-Men and ended up with a huge collection.
Ian went the comic route. I was pleased.
This is my description of my Phoenix tattoo:
She's original, American, simple with complex shading, clinging to the balancing Yin-Yang in her talons, flying into the sky. Her three tail feathers flaming behind. Her wing flames flirt over my shoulder - a hint of what really is there.
Wow, barely knowing me, Ian captured me.
She is a symbol of me. She was put there to remind me of who I am. I am Mommy, wife, Daughter, daughter-in-law, friend and friendly acquaintence. I am also, Elizabeth, American, original, simply complex, flying through my life holding my balancing marriage, with our three offspring trailing behind me.
Some are freaking out at the fact that I did something so permanent. And large. I regret nothing that I've ever done. I've learned from my mistakes and hopefully have righted one or two of my wrongs. I HAVE regretted things that I have not done. There are too many of those opportunities missed. Paths not taked because of fear.
She is my rebirth, my push away from fear. Fear of tomorrow, fear of death, fear of being wrong, fear of not being accepted. I am too old to have these fears!
I know who I am! Call me Elizabeth or Liz (Never call me Beth!). I am the woman with the big tattoo. I am the woman who's going to be getting at least 2 more tattoos. I love music and art. I get obsessive with computer games and well, anything that strikes a huge interest in me. And darn it, I am cute!!!
OK, done with this rant. There will probably be more on the subject as I take note of reactions to people seeing a surburban house-wife with a big red tat!
Of course, not all who surround me feel the same way. I've shocked and awed some friends and family. I may be somewhat conservative in my politics and views. but it's just a tattoo. And one that has much meaning and significance to me!
My original idea of her was different. I wanted the yin-yang of my older tattoo to be worked into the bigger piece. I'd thought that Ian (my tattoo artist) would go with the oriental Phoenix. The peacock thing with many colors and detailed feathers. When I went to the shop (New Breed, Dayton, OH) and saw what he'd cooked up, I was inspired.
I've always had a fascination with the Phoenix myths, when a friend opened a comic book shop, I noticed the X-Men's Phoenix. I became addicted to the X-Men and ended up with a huge collection.
Ian went the comic route. I was pleased.
This is my description of my Phoenix tattoo:
She's original, American, simple with complex shading, clinging to the balancing Yin-Yang in her talons, flying into the sky. Her three tail feathers flaming behind. Her wing flames flirt over my shoulder - a hint of what really is there.
Wow, barely knowing me, Ian captured me.
She is a symbol of me. She was put there to remind me of who I am. I am Mommy, wife, Daughter, daughter-in-law, friend and friendly acquaintence. I am also, Elizabeth, American, original, simply complex, flying through my life holding my balancing marriage, with our three offspring trailing behind me.
Some are freaking out at the fact that I did something so permanent. And large. I regret nothing that I've ever done. I've learned from my mistakes and hopefully have righted one or two of my wrongs. I HAVE regretted things that I have not done. There are too many of those opportunities missed. Paths not taked because of fear.
She is my rebirth, my push away from fear. Fear of tomorrow, fear of death, fear of being wrong, fear of not being accepted. I am too old to have these fears!
I know who I am! Call me Elizabeth or Liz (Never call me Beth!). I am the woman with the big tattoo. I am the woman who's going to be getting at least 2 more tattoos. I love music and art. I get obsessive with computer games and well, anything that strikes a huge interest in me. And darn it, I am cute!!!
OK, done with this rant. There will probably be more on the subject as I take note of reactions to people seeing a surburban house-wife with a big red tat!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home